Problems bringing up network in qemu-system-arm
Wolfgang Schildbach
2006-01-04 15:56:13 UTC
Hi everyone,

I am using the current CVS (HEAD) version of qemu running on x86 linux,
and am using it to emulate an ARM on the integrator board, running
arm-linux, using arm-test-0.1.tar.gz.
From what I've read in this list (
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-12/msg00137.html), it
should be possible to set up a network, user-mode or TUN/TAP. However, I
fail to see the light as to how to bring the correct interface up on the
guest system (arm-linux). ifconfig shows two devices, lo and dummy0, but
nothing that would point to a smc91 being detected or used. This is
independent from whether I try -net tap or -net user.

1) Is the network/smc91x support finished enough to be useable?
2) If so, what is the magic bullet? Any boot options that I need to give
to the kernel? (BTW, I am calling the emulation as

qemu-system-arm -kernel integratorcp.zImage -initrd arm_root.imfg
-nographic -net user )

Thanks much for any help,
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Schildbach, Senior Research Engineer
Coding Technologies GmbH
Daniel Jacobowitz
2006-01-04 18:54:11 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
Hi everyone,
I am using the current CVS (HEAD) version of qemu running on x86 linux,
and am using it to emulate an ARM on the integrator board, running
arm-linux, using arm-test-0.1.tar.gz.
From what I've read in this list (
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-12/msg00137.html), it
should be possible to set up a network, user-mode or TUN/TAP. However, I
fail to see the light as to how to bring the correct interface up on the
guest system (arm-linux). ifconfig shows two devices, lo and dummy0, but
nothing that would point to a smc91 being detected or used. This is
independent from whether I try -net tap or -net user.
1) Is the network/smc91x support finished enough to be useable?
Yes.
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
2) If so, what is the magic bullet? Any boot options that I need to give
to the kernel? (BTW, I am calling the emulation as
qemu-system-arm -kernel integratorcp.zImage -initrd arm_root.imfg
-nographic -net user )
-net nic -net user, or no -net option at all. You need a network card
on the VLAN, and also a connection ("user") to the outside.
--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery
Paul Brook
2006-01-04 21:30:56 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-12/msg00137.html), it
should be possible to set up a network, user-mode or TUN/TAP. However, I
fail to see the light as to how to bring the correct interface up on the
guest system (arm-linux). ifconfig shows two devices, lo and dummy0, but
nothing that would point to a smc91 being detected or used. This is
independent from whether I try -net tap or -net user.
Probably your kernel doesn't have the right driver. Looks like the image on
the qemu website doesn't include the NIC driver.

Paul
Wolfgang Schildbach
2006-01-05 13:59:44 UTC
Indeed at bootup time the kernel does not appear to detect the smc91
network card. I'll try to build my own kernel then.

For the kernel at the qemu website, did you use the patch-2.6.14-arm1
patch available at the ARM website? Which config options did you use --
can you post the config file?

Thanks much,

- Wolfgang
Coding Technologies GmbH
Paul Brook
2006-01-05 17:34:49 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
Indeed at bootup time the kernel does not appear to detect the smc91
network card. I'll try to build my own kernel then.
For the kernel at the qemu website, did you use the patch-2.6.14-arm1
patch available at the ARM website?
I used vanilla kernel.org, probably 2.6.14.
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
Which config options did you use -- can you post the config file?
Config attached.

Paul
Wolfgang Schildbach
2006-01-10 09:34:35 UTC
Thanks much! I have now successfully built a kernel that runs on qemu, and
detects the smc91x.

I used the 2.6.14 kernel sources from kernel.org, modified with the patch
available at the ARM website
(http://www.arm.com/linux/linux_download.html). After I discovered
/proc/config.gz (very useful!), I used that to model my config.

- Wolfgang
Post by Paul Brook
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
Indeed at bootup time the kernel does not appear to detect the smc91
network card. I'll try to build my own kernel then.
For the kernel at the qemu website, did you use the patch-2.6.14-arm1
patch available at the ARM website?
I used vanilla kernel.org, probably 2.6.14.
Post by Wolfgang Schildbach
Which config options did you use -- can you post the config file?
Config attached.
Paul
[attachment "config.qemu.gz" deleted by Wolfgang
Schildbach/nbg/CodingTechnologies]